Tuesday, February 14, 2012

 Today in class we talked about the essence of character building. A person's character creates the soul, beauty and even ugliness of that person. Does not, a person's character determine how their life will be lived and or quality of? Wolf is very strict when it comes to establishing novalist from other writers. She insists that in order to be a novalist you must deeply develope your character and not so much the plot. Chacter building is very important to me as well. As a young child I grew up the youngest in a family of 11. Six brothers, two sisters and both my parents. I can remember going in the bathroom as a young child and creating different characters to re-enact for my mother. Writing became an out let for me, and my characters became of essence. I was in controll. Meaning,  I could create new worlds and I could constantly re-create myself. From the boldest to the timidest of characters. I would became of importance. Soemtimes my characters gender hadnt even been established, it wasnt even important to me as a young writer. I now know I am a novalist in progress. I say this because, before I began to tell a storey, I always have to introduce a strong character who will in a sense nevegate my audience through the journey I wish to bring them into. Writing has the ability to touch lives. In ways that you and I have yet come to appreciate. For every character creates a storey. The right character can help a writer create the perfect storey. Imagine a very OLD, SMALL, NEAT, HARDWORKING person sitting on the edge of the bed talking to their grandchild. This scene allows you to take the storey anywhere. Meaning is added by the character. The fact that the character is older symbolises wisdom, while the fact that this person is small adds to what one may have already imagined, but the words neat and hardworking contradicts what one may persume if not known. The plot or as I like to call it JOURNEY is developing through my character. As writers of literature we should begin our focus on character building, by doing so will allow us invade the most private of spaces. When you first create a character there is alot that has to be added in order for you to capture the truth of this person. Is the person outgoing, quiet, load, an over achiever, lazy or just plane unlucky. For every character has a soul. the soul shines through more the deeper this character is developed. We read a short play in class today taken from the last two pages of Mrs. Bown. I found it very interesting how the writer got her point across through the characters she used. I played Mrs Brown who was an older, poorer, british, women. As the play enhances, Mrs. Brown stumbles upon a space ship. in the process everyone around her told her that she had no business messing with this so called manly space ship, Mrs Brown goes on peacefully and fools around and actuallu travels to a different panet, where she stays calm and interacts and even becomes some what a piece with the common "folks". Had Mrs. Brown been anyone, but herself the true beuty of this storey could not been understood. I asked myself, if some one wrote what to do when others dought you or tell you that, what you are doing isnt for you, would I appreciate it as much. NO... It is the job of the novalist to enhance our understanding and help us to take a closer look at our own reality through the eyes of a very special character, that may even be the exact opposite of our selves. i ask again... Does not a person's characterdetermine how their life will be, and or quality of?

1 comment:

  1. It's nice to hear about the article from a creative writer's point of view and to better understand the importance of character.

    ReplyDelete